Saturday, November 29, 2008

Notes on Clemson-Carolina 2008

I’ll address the Carolina football mess in quick hits, as anything that gets to be more than a few paragraphs has proven to degrade into a rambling mess of obscenities and obfuscation.

First, Carolina:

Smelley

Does not belong on a field wearing a Carolina jersey. Even if he had managed a late game comeback, it would have been like a guy who set the bomb being called a hero for evacuating the victims. All by himself, he made Carolina look like a bunch of idiots (which they may or may not be).

Adapting Suess, for Spurrier:
I will not start him here or there.
I will not start him anywhere.
I do not like that Smelley man.
I do not like him, Steve-I-am.
This season

Didn’t turn out like we thought, huh? The N.C. State, Arkansas and Ole Miss wins look better now, don’t they? Or is it that the Georgia loss and the LSU loss look worse? And Vandy? Two years in a row? We had a big opportunity here and blew it. Which brings me to:

Spurrier

You just can’t add it up. If you bring in an offensive mastermind to coach, you can’t have what we have now: The only thing worth mentioning in the past four years is a Lou Holtz-recruited quarterback having a couple of good games and a defense that, when given a chance, can look outstanding. Other than exposure, what has Spurrier done that another coach couldn’t have? Four years in and the only hope at QB is a kid who is either dumb as a truck or whom Spurrier personally dislikes. Either of those sound appealing? Is the need for a Darrin Horn-type hire not dreadfully apparent to everyone? Dissenting opinions, please.

Garcia

Damnit I still like him. Make the playbook like 10 plays (hell we used the same stupid sneak play twice against Clemson) and let him run around out there. Make sure his options read: Look for Barnes, then look for Saunders, then run like hell. OK, I’m coaching here. I don’t know enough about the game to do that. But I did sit and watch the game today and get depressed as hell.

Clemson

Everything about this team is ugly. The colors. The fans. The uniforms. The players. The field. Their stadium. That rock. The town. Their helmets. Their conference. If only we could beat them...it’d help make their record match the rest of ‘em.

Florida

They call it “The Swamp” because something is in the water. It’s probably chemical. The whole place smells like shit. I hate Florida.

Georgia

You ever watch these thugs play? It's disgusting. Their grad school is the state penitentiary.

Tennessee


Sucks. So does Lane Kiffin.

The only silver lining in the whole thing is that Dabo Swinney is more likely to keep his job. That's a good thing, I think. Because he's not very good. We should have been beaten by 60.

I remember thinking up a really good insult during the game that involved a horribly offensive joke, but I've forgotten it now. Maybe it's for the best. I'm not editing this damn thing because I don't care enough to, so I don't mind if a few names are misspelled, etc.

If I think up anything else, I'll add it.

And who cares about the bowl game. It's time for Spurrier (or whoever is next in line) to remember that Clemson-Carolina sets the tone for the whole season. Today is case and point of that fact.

UPDATE: OK, minor edit. Not that it 'sets the tone' but that as goes the Clemson-Carolina game, goes our season. If we beat them its always a little better and more successful than if we lose. Imagine a few scenarios by which we have one more conference loss and a Clemson win. Very few of you would not take the Clemson win.

I'm down on Carolina. I don't think 'it' is going to happen under Spurrier in the next five years. The change in attitude has not come. It may be getting worse. Metaphors about old dogs and new tricks abound.

UPDATE 2: It's hard to read, but Ron Morris is right. Some - maybe even most - of the players look like the don't care if they win or lose. Maybe they just want to get to the pros. Maybe they just want to hit the bong and go to 5 points. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe it's time recruiters started taking a hard look at who they bring in to Columbia. We need winners.

Have fun in the NFL, Jared Cook.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't hate on the ACC! Although I do really dislike Clemson and was looking forward to you guys stomping their asses. Our defensive coordinator, Bud Foster, is one hopeful candidate to be head coach and take over after Bowden stepped down.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to be the Michael Wilbon to your Tony Kornheiser.

First of all, obviously a terrible loss. Never should have happened.

However, I do think that Clemson was a better team then we were. There was a reason that they were ranked top ten preseason and we were unranked. That reason was talent. For some stupid reason people actually want to go to that piece of shit school in the upstate.

Clemson, Florida, Georgia, etc. all have players capable of taking it the distance every time that they get their hands on the ball. We do not have anybody capable of doing that. Until we catch up in talent the only way that we are going to have a championship caliber season is to have a player take over by himself and will the team to victory. I hope and pray that Garcia will be that player.

Regarding Spurrier, I believe that he needs to be given one more season. At that point the top 5 recruiting class will be juniors and we will hopefully be able to see if the program is headed in the right direction. Turning Carolina around isn't an easy thing to do. For the past 100 years or so the tradition has been losing.

I also don't believe that there are any coaching candidates out there for whom I would fire Spurrier. Muschamp would have been one but he is locked up at Texas. Who is somebody else that you would like to see Steve?

Also, I like Clemson's choice too. Dabo hasn't accomplished anything other than getting a stacked team to go 4-2 in the ACC. I believe that he will be gone within three years.

I would like to conclude by discussing Texas' getting screwed over. Another way in which the SEC knows what it is doing is by their tiebreaker formula. The third team is eliminated based on the BCS standings and then the representative is decided by the head to head matchup. I also don't get voters who put Oklahoma ahead of Texas considering that Oklahoma lost on neutral ground to Texas and won against Tech in a home game while Texas lost a road game on the final play. I'm sure you disagree and look forward to hearing your opinion.

Steve said...

Can-- uh, Bre-- er, Michael...

I appreciate the long reply. I agree in your assessment of talent. We don't have anyone that can break out for a score (although I thought Jared Cook was supposed to have a sick 40 time?).

The shit is Smelley, though, admit that. As in he stinks. Like shit. Am I getting through here?

I'm not for getting rid of Spurrier, now that the rage has settled a bit. Although his recruiting class two years ago was good, last year's was lacking. And he doesn't have any good offensive lineman coming in or rising up. I hope a coaching change helps there. I just don't think 'it' is going to happen. He won't turn the mentality around. So we wait.

Other coaches: Some people have been talking about the guy from Cincinnati (too lazy to look up his name). But I'm not ready to bail on Spurrier, as I hope he's not ready to bail on us. The worry I have is that he's already done so a little bit. That would be cause for a change.

Dabo is the funniest thing to happen in a long time. I didn't think they could top Baby Bowden, but it appears they have. Watching him jump around on T.V., even while beating us, I still got a laugh out of it. And his attempted hug/man-love of Spurrier at the end was classic. BONUS: Lane Kiffin taking a dig at Clemson in his presser today. Said the job "wasn't even close" compared to Tenn., which is obvious, but still funny.

And finally, the Big 12 mess. First I'll start by saying I have no love for Texas, but I hate them less now that you and your posters/wall-hang-ups/CPU-backgrounds aren't just across the way. I miss you, Ron.
I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk....

Uhh...ok back to the real business.

It's simple as shit. Three way tie. Same record. Each has one loss to one of the three teams. Texas Tech lost ugly to Oklahoma, and won on an amazing last-ditch effort to beat Texas. They're out, and bonus points to Texas (which they don't need...read on).

Texas and Okla. left. Texas beat Okla. by 10 at a neutral site. Texas > Okla. I don't care if Okla. puts up 90 against this-or-that team. This ain't a race to 1,000 points a season.

Texas is the obvious and sensible and correct choice for the Big 12 South Champion. What happened was a huge mistake. One can only hope Mizzou pulls a miracle, and Texas plays Fla. (not guaranteed, I think Saban's Bama will keep it real close) for the nat-champ, then the shit will hit the fan and spread all over the country.

And then Obama will put in a playoff :).

(Although I like a playoff, I do think Obama should keep to politics of the non-sports kind.)

So we agree on the Texas thing. See I don't take the opposite of you just for the hell of it. I'm just always right. Sometimes you come along for the fun.

As Tony Kornheiser would say, Goodnight Canada.

Anonymous said...

You can have the best quarterback in the world, you can have Adrian Peterson as a RB, but it won't do shit for you if you don't have an offensive line. I was certain our O-Line would be much better than Clemson's. Until this changes, except the same results.

But much of this falls on the HBC, he made the decisions to start Smelley in the past two games. But, honestly how much better would've Garcia have been?

Florida and LSU both showed the way to stop Garcia, blitz the holy hell out of him so he panics and either gets sacked or throws an INT. But I do fault Spurrier for not simplifying the playbook like he did for Syvelle when he moved to QB.

On the horizon, we have one OL coming in that's a 4 star. How much do you think that's going to help? Hell, I'd take Coach O as our new OLine coach if he could bring in some big boys to protect our QB.

But, the talent is coming. Our stud recruits of years past will be mostly Redshirt Soph with a few true Juniors this coming year. Not to mention our current recruiting class, if they don't bail after these two losses, should be easily top 15, possibly in the top 10.